Cabinet Refacing Terms

cabinet refacing cary nc

Before you begin the refacing process to transform your kitchen cabinets, its a good idea to understand the common terminology we use. You’ll be able to better communicate what you want as well as understand the cabinet craftsmen as they describe the process or tell you what to expect, and this improved communication leads to better results.

Cabinet Box Terms

  • Cabinet Box: This is the box that actually houses your cabinets. Doors are connected to this box.
  • Base Cabinet: Cabinet installed directly onto the floor with a countertop installed above.
  • Uppers: Usually positioned into your wall, this is a nickname for your upper cabinets.
  • Face Frame: Structural wood frame support attached to the front of the cabinet box built using rails and stiles. It provides mounting support to doors and drawers.
  • Frameless: Sometimes called European cabinets, this type of cabinet door utilizes hidden hinges. This is different than placing cabinet doors on the face frame.
  • Reveal: The amount of face frame you see around the door and drawer fronts when they are closed.
  • End Panel: This is the part of your cabinet that goes all the way to a wall.
  • Toe Kick: The recessed toe space located at the bottom of base cabinets.

Cabinet Door and Drawer Terms

  • Rail: Horizontal pieces of a frame.
  • Stile: Stiles are the vertical elements of your cabinet’s frame.
  • Center Panel: The panel in the middle of a cabinet door framed by rails and stiles.
  • Raised Panel: This is a center panel that’s constructed so that it appears to be elevated upwards.
  • Recessed Panel: Thin center panel that has the appearance of being inset.
  • Outside Edge: This refers to the four edges around your cabinet’s door.
  • Concealed Hinge: Hinge attached to the back of the door and to the cabinet box, obscuring the hinge completely when the cabinet door is closed.
  • Drawer Front: A drawer front is the outward front aspect of your drawer.
  • Full Extension Drawer Guide: Cabinet drawer glides that extend completely outside the cabinet. Allows for access to the full depth of the drawer box.
  • Door to Drawer Conversion: This process will transform your lower level cabinets into cabinets with extendable drawers.

Cabinet Finish Terms

  • Shaker: The minimal, square edge profile and flat panel makes this a highly popular cabinet door design.
  • Bead Board: Decorative wood center paneling style with evenly spaced surface grooves, paired with shaker rails and stiles.
  • Select-Grade: A select-grade wood won’t contain unwanted color highlights.
  • Paint-Grade: Cabinet wood that has minor color blemishes from sap that would show through stain but will not show through lacquer.
  • Rustic: This wood style comes with heavy grain and knotting to give it a distinct look.
  • Stain: Stains are used to bring out the grain, darken, and add color to wood. All Cabinet Cures’ stains are water-based and are used to enhance the natural beauty of the wood doors.
  • Tinted Lacquer: Tinted lacquer is preferable over painted cabinets since it comes with a stronger finish. You cannot see the cabinet wood underneath tinted lacquer.
  • Glaze: An accent finish that is applied to a finished door, and the excess is wiped away to add depth and dimension that highlights door details.

Other Cabinet Related Terms

  • Mitered Joint: This joint is created when two 45° angled edges meet to create a right angle.
  • Cope and Run Joint: Wedges are cut from the sides of the rails and fit into matching grooves in the stiles. Also known as a Cope and Stick Joint, this is a type of mortise and tenon joint.
  • Dovetail Joint: A variety of mortise and tenon joint which is often utilized for drawer boxes.
  • Crown Molding: A molding that caps and finishes the top edge of upper cabinets.
  • Corbel:  A corbel is a bracket which can be used as either a supportive piece or simply as a visual piece. Great places to use corbels include: counters, mantels, island bars, cabinets and shelves.

Contact Us Today for Excellent Kitchen Cabinet Refacing in Durham

If you’re ready to change the look of your cabinets and create your dream kitchen, we can help! Call  919–809–6161 today or complete our contact form to schedule a free quote or ask questions about your options.

Contact Us Today for a Free Quote

Please call  919–809–6161 or fill out our form below.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.