The Challenge: Outdated Cabinets with Shallow Drawers Were Unattractive and Inefficient
The homeowners wanted to update the look of their cabinets which were rather dated while improving their functionality. The challenges included:
- Dated cabinets with unattractive hardware;
- Top cabinet doors were too difficult to reach, making them nearly unusable.
- The pantry was deep but narrow, making it difficult to find things.
- Drawers that were too shallow to be functional.
The Goal: Create a Modern Kitchen with Custom Features
The goal was to reface the cabinets in white while adding shaker doors and new hardware to create a classic, yet modern look while adding custom features to the cabinets and drawers that would make them easier to use.
The Results: An Attractive, Modern Kitchen
Refrigerator Cabinet Extension
The refrigerator cabinet was extended from 12” to 24” depth, to cover and surround the fridge giving the newly refaced kitchen far more appeal.
Cabinet Refacing: The Process
Kitchen cabinet refacing is a popular alternative to tearing out old cabinets and installing new ones. Our team starts by removing the existing doors, drawer fronts, molding, and hardware. At our workshop, we finish new, solid wood drawer fronts, doors, and molding and attach hidden, soft-close hinges where needed. We also finish ¼” thick wood pieces in the color or stain you choose to ensure everything matches perfectly. To ensure a professional finish that leaves your cabinets looking brand new, we have a multi-step finishing process for each item, using multiple layers of high-quality primer, then stain or paint, and a top coat or finish, taking care to carefully sand the wood before every coat.
At your home, our team lays the ¼” wood over the existing cabinet boxes to completely cover the old frames, then we install the crown and shoe molding, then the doors and drawer fronts, and finally, the hardware. The cabinets are completely transformed, and no one will believe you didn’t have new cabinets installed.
In addition to the refacing process, for this project, we added custom features, including:
- Removing the upper cabinet doors and extending the new custom doors to the ceiling.
- Added pull-out drawers in the pantry to make items more accessible and easy to locate;
- Added a pull out drawer to keep the trash bin neat and accessible;
- Changed a row of four narrow drawers into three deeper drawers;